Balclutha is on the banks of Clutha River and is the gateway to the Catlins Coast and Southern Scenic Route. Take in Kaka Point which is a seaside destination with patrolled beaches in summer. Also visit Nugget Point Lighthouse with its dramatic sweeping views.
Experience wildlife such as yellow-eyed (hoiho) penguins, fur seals, and hooker sea lions in their natural surroundings. Sea birds and native birds are scattered throughout the district. Bush walks, waterfalls, the Petrified Forest, Cathedral Caves, sea and ocean views are all to be seen on the Southern scenic route through Catlins.
Some activities of the area:
- Free ride on the Tuapeka Mouth Ferry - Further info...
- View the sea lions at Surat Bay
- Walk along Cannibal Bay, historic Maori site
- Kaka Point Township
- Nugget Lighthouse Reserve - view the rocky rugged outcrops
- Surfing - world famous waves
- The Owaka Township - shops, museum, information centre
- Pounawea Township - playground and self-guided nature walks
- Jacks Bay - beach and walkway to the Blow Hole
- Catlins River Walk - up to 5 hours long
- Purakaunui Falls - 10-minute walk with 2 lookouts
- Papatowai Township - abundant walking tracks
- Florence Hill Lookout - look over the beautiful Tautuku Beach
- Tautuku Estuary Board Walk - fern bird habitat
- Cathedral Caves - a natural wonder
- MacLean Falls - forest walking in the Catlins, surrounded by birds
- Niagara Falls - seeing is believing
- Waikawa Township - museum and information centre
- Curio Bay - a great place to see Hector Dolphins
- Petrified Forest from the Jurassic Age - at Curio Bay
- Slope Point - the southernmost point of the South Island
- Waipapa Point - historic lighthouse
- Penguin Hide - at Roaring Bay, 10-minute walk to view Hoiho penguins from a hide.
- Seal Colony - fur seals at Nugget Point Lighthouse, 15 minute drive.
- Port Molyneux - historical site
- Natural Surroundings - relaxing beach walks, river walks and native bush walks
- Sea Fishing - around the rugged Catlins Coastline
- Blowhole - view at Jacks Bay
- View Fossil Forest - at Curio Bay, exposed at low tide
- Porpoise Bay - view Hector Dolphins
- Chaslands Mistake - shipwreck area
- Purakaunui Bay - attractive beach
- Tautuku Bay - 15-minute forest walk, Outdoor Education Centre
- Nugget Point - lighthouse built in 1869